~ AUGUST 2022 ~
Intimacy might not look the same for everyone, as intimacy is not really a black and white concept.
What defines intimacy for you, might not have the same appeal for someone else. Society is changing as we know it, and it’s becoming more and more accepting of every sort of relationship and love today. Amongst all the types of relationships, throuple relationships are one of them.
The spectrum of romantic relationships is gradually widening, and people are slowly beginning to recognize and respect throuple relationships, instead of ridiculing them or dismissing them as immoral and dirty. Even though we have come a long way, we still have a long way to go.
So, what is a throuple relationship, what it is like to be in a throuple, and how does a throuple relationship work?
What Is A Throuple Relationship?
A throuple relationship or a three-way relationship is a kind of relationship where three people love each other and collectively form a romantic or sexual relationship together, with everybody’s consent, of course.
Even though a relationship like this might seem very appealing and exciting from afar, sometimes three-way relationships demand more effort, understanding, and investment than monogamous relationships.
Is There Any Difference Between Throuple And Open Relationships?
Even though it might seem like that, but no, they are not.
In open relationships, a couple decides to see other people apart from their partners (again, with consent!) but just for sex. In open relationships, romance and companionship are not really the focus, sex is.
But in throuple relationships, everything matters, not just sex. People in three-way relationships are not just interested in physical intimacy, they are equally looking out for emotional and mental intimacy too. However, sometimes throuple relationships can be polyamorous i.e., they can choose to be physically intimate with other people outside the relationship they are in.
What Are Some Examples Of A Throuple Relationship?
Even though there are no rules in a throuple relationship as such, but yes, there are some things you can keep in mind if you are thinking of exploring this. How a throuple relationship will look like, will honestly depend on the people in it; not every relationship will look the same, you know.
Ultimately, it’s up to them to decide what rules their relationship will be based on. There are many different ways in which three people can build their relationship.
Here are some of them:
- Three people decide to be in a relationship together and only date each other; there is no scope for other people. They are exclusive to each other.
- A married couple introduces a third person in their relationship.
- Three people are in a committed relationship, but they choose to also date people outside of their relationship.
- Two people date the same person, but they never date each other.
How To Know If A Throuple Is Right For You?
There can be some benefits to being in a triad relationship like this. If someone is already in a committed relationship, a throuple might work in someone’s favor if:
- Both partners are equally interested in exploring something like this.
- Both partners have the same opinions and choices when it comes to how their throuple will look like.
- They have an extremely healthy and stable relationship with each other, with impeccable communication skills and understanding.
- Even though they might feel jealous at times, both partners have healthy coping skills for dealing with those unpleasant feelings.
- Both partners know how to set boundaries and communicate those boundaries to one another, and also voice out their needs, expectations, and feelings.